CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

21 April 2008

Government



Sunday was the letter G.

If you would have asked me before I met Todd if I would ever consider marrying someone in the military, I would have said Hell No. I had a picture in my head of what a military wife was: how she behaved, what she thought, her views on life, etc. That was not who I was, and what I thought then is not who I am now. The media sometimes portrays military wives as uneducated babymakers, so that's the idea I (sadly) had in my head. Women I've met who share my role as military wife, as well as myself, have helped me create a new picture in my head of who we are. It's a little blurry, because as corny as this sounds, we're all different. Of course my current stereotype exists in the military community--it exists everywhere, and it wouldn't be a stereotype if it didn't. I'm just glad I don't perpetuate it.

That being said, I'm supposed to be talking about the government. One of the reasons I never thought I'd be in this position is the government, and politics. I'm a liberal. I don't like violence. I've joked about whisking my family away to Canada. I don't trust a certain president farther than I could throw him. The list goes on. I never thought I'd be so invested in some decisions that were made for this country, and maybe I'm still not, but I feel like I am. Sometimes when I'm in Army wife mode, I feel like I have to check my beliefs at the door to fit in, but that is slowly not happening. I'm meeting people that feel like I do, at least about some things. I am who I am, I guess, take it or leave it.

0 comments: