CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

14 September 2008

Chub-be-gone

I decided to get off my ass and do something about the 20+ pounds I've gained since Todd and I met (see super skinny picture a la 2003, below), so I decided to do the Couch to 5k (c25k) program. Theoretically, it'll have me running 5k without stopping by the end of 9 weeks. I finished the first week yesterday, and it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. However, I finished something exercise related, and that is a huge step for me. Usually, after feeling how hard the first day was (ie, I wanted to die), I would have quit. This time, I got some support from friends that run (thank you to Ash, Court, Bev, and Steph!) and modified my approach a little. My second day was much more successful, and my third was even better. I actually gained some speed! I start the second week on Tuesday, where I run for longer. I'm a little nervous, but I think I can do it.

I'm also back on Weight Watchers. I figured why not, since I'm paying for it. I'm doing the online version where I don't go to meetings. I don't need to sit around with people lamenting about my weight and how I ate two donuts at work on Friday (which I did, and I lamented about it...alone). The online tools (points tracker, activity tracker, and recipe builder) are fantastic. I weigh in on Mondays, and I'm really just hoping for at least a one pound loss a week. I'd be ecstatic for two, but I like food a lot. I do really well in the beginning of the week, but then by the end of the weekend I'm deep into my flex points. Just last night I ate a whole bag of ranch soy crisps. However, it's better than eating a whole bag of Cool Ranch Doritos. I have no junk food in my house, other than the soy crisps, and gluten free, wheat free, dairy free cookies. They taste like peanut butter chocolate cardboard, but if I dunk them in chocolate soy milk, it's not so bad. Sort of.

I also joined the YMCA. My sign up fee was waived since Todd is gone, and the monthly fee is not bad at all. All the classes are free, and there is a really nice pool. It's also never very crowded, even in the evenings. I'm doing my running program outside while it's still nice, but I won't be able to finish it outside since I'll be going until the end of October. So the indoor track and the treadmills at the Y are a must. I'm going to hang out and get really comfortable with running 5k, then I'll think about doing the program that gets you from 5k to 8k. But one thing at a time.

My goal is to lose 25lbs by my 25th birthday. That gives me ~5 months. I can definitely do it. My reward will be Vegas. I love Vegas. And no counting points while I'm there.

4 comments:

Angie said...

Good for you that you're being proactive! I've gained 20lbs in the 7.5 years Graham and I have been together and haven't done a damn thing about it. You will feel better and look great.

And in food related news...I think I saw your mom at Vito & Nick's on Pulaski on Friday. I almost said hi, but I didn't want to have to explain that I was "Sheri's Internet Friend."

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Sheri! Finishing week one is a big deal, because you've crossed one hurdle. And when you have a bad day or don't feel like working out, just remember how great it felt to finish a week and stick to a program! You'll start seeing results in no time, especially since your goals are realistic and attainable! Good for you!!!!! I'm always here for support!

Anonymous said...

Yay Vegas!! Can't wait!

lizard queen said...

if I was closer I'd love to help out. I have great tips for food and workouts...I've been bad about calling you but expect a ring by the end of the week. I promise!