CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

03 September 2008

And so it begins...

I haven't posted in awhile because Todd and I were trying to fit a lot of stuff into a small amount of time. He left a few days ago, and will be gone for a year. I can't say where he is right now, or where he'll be going for security reasons, but when I get an address I'll give it to whoever wants it. It will not, however, be posted for all to see on the interwebs. Just shoot me an email. I got a call from him late Monday night and he sounded tired, but ok. I have a feeling that's how he'll sound a lot during the next year. I don't know when I'll hear from him again, but hopefully it will be within the next week or so.

When I left him on Monday, it was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. It feels sort of surreal, not having him here in the evening, or having him come home from PT in the mornings. I'm sure the weirdness will lessen as the weeks go on, but being in this house without him is strange. It was one thing to live alone in Dekalb--it was my apartment. But this is our house, with our things, and memories of us together. Although I only had four short months here before he left, I feel like it was a blessing. We had so much fun and got to do all the things we wanted to do before our summer ended.

Despite the weirdness, and although I'm definitely sad, I feel like I'm going to be ok. I've made good friends out here in Colorado, and have a great support system back home. I really couldn't ask for a better group of family and friends. I'm looking at this as a time to grow as a person, although a lot of people say that time freezes during a deployment. It obviously does not. I have a new job, and I'll be starting internship in January. I volunteer for two different organizations out here and am looking to add a third. My life is not frozen, and neither is Todd's. We won't be the same people we are now in 12 months. Our experiences during that time won't allow that, and that's ok. I'm not afraid of growing apart because I know that, while it won't be easy when he comes home, it won't be impossible to be a couple again. We've come too far in the last five years together, and our sixth year together, while spent apart, will be entirely worth it.

Thanks to everyone who's called, emailed, etc in the last few days. I appreciate (and I know Todd does too) all the kind words and support that everyone has shown us. Please keep Todd in your thoughts, and send him some cold vibes--it's HOT over there! Like 120-140 hot. Ew.

0 comments: